The first triumphal arch was erected in Bucharest in 1878, on the occasion of the return of the Romanian troops from the independence war. This monument got quickly deteriorated.
The second triumphal arch was built in 1922, being dedicated to the victory of the Romanian armies in the First World War. This monument did not last either.
The Triumphal Arch that can be admired today was built of stone, between 1935-1936, under the guidance of the architect Petre Antonescu, and it is 27 m high.
The population of Bucharest, particularly the associations of the former combatants of the First World War, contributed with over LEI 7 millions to erect the current Triumphal Arch, upon the call of the Ministry of National Defense.