The building that now shelters the National Romanian History Museum was inaugurated in 1900, under the name of Post Palace.
An architectural monument, the building has a surface of 8,000 sq.m. The museum was founded here in 1970 as the most representative archeology and history museum in the country. The earthquake of 1977 greatly damaged the building and the exhibits that were part of the national patrimony, so that the exhibition was almost entirely changed. Thus, during the communist dictatorship period of Nicolae Ceausescu, the Museum was a place of propaganda for the Romanian Communist Party.
After the events of 1989, the Museum changed its image, recovering its exhibits and organizing many international exhibits.
The museum currently exhibits documents and archeological evidence from the various stages of the evolution of the Romanian people, on different plans: social, politic, administrative, and cultural. Recently, the exhibition of the famous Dacian bracelets, recovered not long ago by the Romanian state, had a great success.